Wednesday, December 3, 2008

amputations and thanksgiving x3

If this Surgeon had had a different outcome, then this would be an Onion article and not one found on BBC:

"Surgeon Saves Boys Life by Text"

Wow! Performing an amputation through text messages. I feel like I can do anything with my phone by myside now. If anything, this gives cheaters a good argument - look you can cheat in real life and be successful!

Sorry for not writing much lately. I have a ton of papers to write and tests to take before coming home for christmas.

In short, Thanksgiving was fantastic - all three of them. The first was with our church the Sunday before Thanksgiving. They had a huge dinner at the castle in one of the gallery's. They had a raffle and I won a relaxing bath prize! Nick won the world's ugliest center piece, which he's keen on keeping it. The second Thanksgiving was at the Turnau's - our favorite missionary family. Ted, the Dad, is a professor at my school and also has movie nights every other week where we eat, watch a movie and discuss it after. They are one of the coolest families ever. Anyhow, every year Ted invites all of his students over for a mega-Thanksgiving dinner. We quite enjoyed it, as always. I made a spinach dip which I put in a bread bowl - it's fun doing this because the czechs have never seen anything like it! They always think I'm either a genious or I'm crazy (or both). It was yummy, but looked like something Yoda would bring to family gatherings. I think it's impossible to make green dip pretty.

Then Friday was the Ples (or Ball in english). It was excellent! All the students looked incredibly beautiful! The students put on various dances and shows each year in between the traditional ballroom dancing. This year we really enjoyed the shows, even the scandolous ones (ask and I'll tell you later, let's just way we called it the 'BJ dance'). I was really nervous about the student-teacher dance. I wasn't 100% sure about which student was going to ask me and we didn't get a chance to practice the waltz, like I normally do with the student I have to dance with in front of everyone (the students sign up for which teacher they want to dance with in advance and then they come "pick you up" from your box or seat before the dance begins). Well, to my happy surprise the student never came to get me for the student-teacher dance! I was so happy! I got to watch Nick dance with his student, which he actually rather enjoyed. So, all in all this part, that could have been quite traumatic, turned out to be great.



I especially had fun dancing with my husband. We felt like we were young and dating again. My belly showed for the first time in my dress, which was fun. A lot of former students were there who didn't know I was pregnant, so it was fun to torture them a bit as they kept glancing at my belly trying to figure out if I'd let myself go or if I had something inside there.

Later, I ended up going to the after party with Katie. First, we stopped for after-midnight food ie a big slice of greasy pizza and french fries at McD's (this helped me realize that you don't have to be drunk to eat this kind of food, it just helps to be). The after party was fantastic! It was so much better than last year (although last years after-after party was smashing). I was pretty tired though so I only stayed for about an hour and then came home.

Then on Saturday we went to the last and most "real" Thanksgiving with our friends at Nad Aleji. I baked a delicious apple pie. We brought Mia who turned out to be the star of the party. Uncle Frank gave her a big turkey bone and she was in thanksgiving heaven for the rest of the evening. We ate and ate some more, went to the park at night to play games and came back to eat more and play some music. All in all, it was a beautiful Thanksgiving x3.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

gobble gobble...come on skype!

Unknown said...

OHHHH! I just got the postcard too! It's awesome. I love my little german aids man!