Thursday, November 6, 2008

Almond Butter

Almond Butter is a lot like Peanut butter, but with almonds. For some reason I have always hated peanuts and peanut butter, but I love every other nut to death (especially my husband). 

- pre-heat the oven to 150 C
- Put about 2 cups of regular almonds on a pan. Spread them out so they are not on top of each other.
- put the almonds in the oven on the top shelf for about 10 minutes, take them out and stir them around once or twice during this time. Make sure they don't burn. They should turn into a rich brown color. If they become dark brown our black then they are burned and you can't use them.
- Take the almonds out and let them cool a bit. Then put them in your food processor and process! It takes a long time, but be patient, eventually it will turn into mush. You can also add a few spoon fulls of olive oil to help it turn into "butter". I used about 3 tsps.
- Then, viola! You've got almond butter! Be sure to keep it refrigerated so it lasts longer. Alone the almond butter isn't the greatest thing in the world. I personally like it on toast with either a bit of cinnamon on top or with sliced bananas on top or both. It's really healthy and filling!

 Enjoy!

ps. I ate mine so fast that I didn't have time to take pictures. I'll make it again soon and post some pics. I put the almond butter in a used nutella jar that we had saved - it was perfect for storing it!

2 comments:

Ashley said...

So, in order to spice up your almond butter, there are several different things you can do.

One of my favorites is to make cinnamon almond butter. Which basically means you toast the almonds with a little bit of cinnamon, sugar, and olive oil (or other oil type substance) and then process. super yummy and can be eaten by itself.

Other yummy ideas (please thank whole foods and the fresh market by my house with the awesome nutter butter making machine!) honey almond butter, chocolate almond butter (super yummy!), and maple almond butter (kind of weird, but tasty on pancakes!).

Also, please feel free to start trying to make such butters as apple butter, pumpkin butter, cashew butter, walnut butter, pecan butter, hazelnut butter, etc., etc., etc. :* and then bring them to me so that I can eat them!

Sam said...

Yummy!! Thanks for the great tips! I really want to make hazlenut butter next because I'm curious to see if it tastes anything like nutella:)