Friday, November 14, 2008

There is a season

The following picture represents my life right now:)



In many ways I have had an absolutely terrible week. Each day brought new troubles and annoyances. Not even Murphy could have had such an unbelievably bad week. Yet, somehow I find myself completely happy and content. Despite all the terrible things that happened (losing everything, yes everything on my computer, having a hole drilled in my tooth, nearly chopping off my finger, sleepless nights due to the Peeing Queen (Mia), etc), I can't help, but be happy.

Having all these stupid things happen to me made me realize how unimportant these little things are - even material things like my computer. Yes, it's horrible that I've lost all my word documents, itunes and worst of all pictures - since those aren't replaceable, but I know that life could be so much worse - I could have suffered a much more terrible lose than my computer. Yes, it's hard for me to live in the Czech Republic - it's cold and foreign in so many ways, but if living here is the biggest burden I carry right now, then my life is pretty damn good!

I listened to a BBC news special report about Hurricane Katrina survivors. I was astonished at what these people have had to go through and what they are still going through! Thousands of them were placed in FEMA trailers that had toxic levels of formaldehyde - causing horrible illnesses among many of the inhabitants. These people lost everything in the Huricanne and now their losing their health and/or loved ones and must find yet another place to live. It's so sad!

This morning I read the book of Ecclesiastics - possibly my most favorite book of the Bible. It always inspires me and gives me hope, which is ironic since it's probably one of the most depressing books of the Bible. It reminds me how short life is and how everything is basically worthless.

"As he came forth of his mother's womb, naked shall he return to go as he came, and shall take nothing of his labor, which he may carry away in his hand." - Ecc.5:15

It's such a relief. I think I put too much pressure on myself to always do the right thing, which is of course impossible!

There's so much injustice in the world. I don't know why I'm so fascinated by politics and current events. I can't go a day without reading or listening to the news - even though in many ways it's so depressing. I just can't get over the fact that the majority of Californians voted to write hate into the state constitution. This is the 21st Century! Haven't we learned anything?!? It astounds me that people can be so prejudiced and closed minded. Why must change take so long? Why aren't people learning from the past? It seems like we just repeat our horrific mistakes time and time again, just with different terminology, equipment and "groups of people". I am so incredibly blessed to be married to the man I love - my most favorite person in the world. Yet, I feel guilty for being married because it is so completely unfair! Why should I be allowed to get married? Just because I fit into a certain scope of "social norms". It makes me sick to my stomach. Anyhow, I'm pretty sure my marriage isn't even recognized in America since I married a foreigner who doesn't have a green card. Why do we build so many walls, both figuratively and literally?

I guess all that's left is to appreciate what we do have - the bits of goodness, love, truth, freedom and justice we do have and continue the good fight, no matter how hard or impossible it seems. There is so much injustice in the world, yet there is so much hope and so much goodness that must be overcome. I know I've watched Star Wars too much in my life, but I think in many ways it represents life so well. Even though it may appear that darkness is everywhere, there is still goodness and hope (and yes a force that connects us all that can over-power the dark side!)

So, in the mean time, "...every man should eat and drink, and enjoy the good of all his labour, it is the gift of God." For me, the grass is always greener on the other side. It is so hard for me to be content and happy because I can always find room for improvement in nearly everything, but I don't want to be one of those people who is never happy because of this constant need for improvement. So, I'm trying my best to be happy and thankful. After all, there is truly so much to be joyful about! Even if it's just the leaves turning brown or the sweet taste of chocolate melting in your mouth. Life is good and we can't let all the sucky people in the world let us forget how good life really is and can be!! We still have much to change and improve, yet let us not forget all the good things on our path to liberty and the never-ending pursuit of happiness.

and now for some pictures! These are the only ones we have, because they were still on our camera. Enjoy my baby belly, baby girl (mia), baby daddy (husband) and ?baby rotten pumkins? (our jack-o-lanterns that we forgot on the balcony until today).













2 comments:

Mr. Curry said...

I am going to send you music! Star Wars!!!! You had to mention star wars!!!!!

paxik said...

Thank you for nice sum-up. I think this is article everyone should, not read, but write... In their own words, of course, everyone should be able to realize how blessed he or she is. Yet I think complaining is very convenient, so we stick with that.
"Whoever thinks he is too small to change anything probably never shared a room with mosquito." (patent pending)